Back row, left to right: Gleb Akselrod, Andrew Walsworth, Jon Stewart, Qixin Shen. Front row, left to right: Thang Hoang, Maiken Mikkelsen, Tamra Nebabu, Daniela Cruz, Jiani Huang. Photo credit: Cristin Paul.
We are a multidisciplinary research group studying spin dynamics and photonics at the nanoscale using ultrafast spectroscopy. Our research spans the areas of spintronics, quantum information science, nanophotonics, plasmonics, and quantum optics. The group is jointly residing in the department of Electrical & Computer Engineering and the department of Physics at Duke University.
News and Selected Publications:
- Maiken won the Early Career Achievement Award from SPIE.
- Maiken won the 2017 Maria Goeppert Mayer Award from the American Physical Society.
- Maiken won the Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award from the Army Research Office.
- Our paper "Towards Multispectral Imaging with Colloidal Metasurface Pixels" has been accepted by Advanced Materials.
- Our paper "Efficient nanosecond photoluminescence from infrared PbS quantum dots coupled to plasmonic nanoantennas" has been published in ACS Photonics.
- Our paper "Broad electrical tuning of plasmonic nanoantennas at visible frequencies" has been published in Applied Physics Letters.
- Our paper "Probing the origin of excitonic states in monolayer WSe2" has been published in Scientific Reports.
- Maiken won the Cottrell Scholar Award from the Research Corporation for Science Advancement given annually to outstanding teacher-scholars who are recognized by their scientific communities for the quality and innovation of their research programs and their academic leadership skills. News articles here.
- Jon won the 1st place poster prize at the "Southeast Ultrafast conference" at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC.
- Our recent paper is featured on the cover of Advanced Materials
- Our paper "Ultrafast room-temperature single photon emission from quantum dots coupled to plasmonic nanocavities" has been published in Nano Letters.
- Our paper "Large-Area Metasurface Perfect Absorbers from Visible to Near Infrared" has been published in Advanced Materials.
News articles: Optics & Photonics News, Phys.org, PhotonicsOnline
- Maiken is appointed Nortel Networks Assistant Professor.
- Jiani wins a graduate fellowship from the John T. Chambers Scholar program from the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics at Duke.
- Our paper "Ultrafast spontaneous emission source using plasmonic nanoantennas" has been published in Nature Communications.
- Our paper "Leveraging nanocavity harmonics for control of optical processes in 2D semiconductors" has been published in Nano Letters.
- Our paper "Real-time Tunable Lasing from Plasmonic Nanocavity Arrays" has been published in Nature Communications.
News articles: Physics World, Nanowerk News, Nanotechweb.org, and NSF.
- Maiken wins an AFOSR Young Investigator Award and an NSF CAREER award.
- Our paper "Probing the mechanisms of large Purcell enhancement in plasmonic nanoantennas" has been published in Nature Photonics.
News articles: Phys.org, Optrics & Photonics News, Duke Pratt News, Photonics.com